EU Green Deal and NECPs: Is Europe on the right pathway to becoming the first climate-neutral continent?
Date: Tuesday 21st January 2020
Location: Scotland House Rond-point Robert Schuman 6, 1040 Bruxelles
Background: As part of the European Union’s 2030 climate and energy package, EU member states are required to develop energy and climate strategies to plan and to report on their 2030 climate and energy objectives (NECPs). Following Ursula von der Leyen’s pledge to present a European Green Deal during the first 100 days of her mandate, this event will discuss the progress towards the European Union’s mid-and long-term climate and energy objectives and take stock of the NECPs preparation across the EU Member States.
10:00-10:10 Welcome by Sabine Frank, Director, Carbon Market Watch
10:10-10:30 Keynote speech by Jean-Pascal Van Ypersele, University of Louvain (tbc.)
10:30-12:00 Panel discussion: How will the EU Green Deal drive more climate ambition?
- Diederick Samson, Head of the cabinet of Commissioner Frans Timmermans, European Commission (tbc.)
- Patrick Ten Brink – EEB Director of EU Policy
- William Todts – T&E Executive Director
- Martin Porter – Executive Chair – Corporate Leaders Group (CISL), Brussels VOET Ludovic – Confederal Secretary – ETUC
12:00-13:30 Lunch break
13:30-15:30 Panel discussion: We have the plans – and now? Do we still have a chance to improve the energy and climate plans? What are the legislative priorities and opportunities?
- Ditte Juul Jørgensen, Director-General, European Commission DG Energy (tbc.)
- Jytte Guteland Member of the European Parliament, S&D (tbc.)
- Adam Guibourge -Czetwertynski, Head of Environmental policy –
- Polish Permanent Representation (tbc.)
- Lian Merkx, Programme Manager Energy Transition, Association of Dutch municipalities
- Quentin Genard – E3G Acting head of Brussels office
15:30 Final remarks by Sam Van den plas – Carbon Market Watch Policy Director
Date: Wednesday 22nd January 2020
Location: Renewable Energy House, Rue d'Arlon 63, 1040 Bruxelles
10:30 - 11:30 NECPS what’s next? Discussing with civil society, cities and regions their role in delivering the EU climate and energy targets over the next 10 years
11:30 - 11:45 Coffee break
11:45 - 13:00 Projects marketplace: Representatives from EU funded projects will share the results and experiences of their projects to explore synergies with the LIFE PlanUp platform
13:00 - 13:15 Final Remarks
13:15 - 14:30 Lunch